Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Scotland Chronicles: Conclusion

Wednesday, 14 September 2011 @ 11am - This is going to be my last post of the trip, for I will not have time to update my blog before I leave for the airport tomorrow morning.


Yesterday was mostly an uneventful day because the ocean was COVERED with white caps (an indicator of bad seas), so we spent the day updating the dolphin databases. But last night we had a Spanish dinner, and that's when things got a little too silly. Because our personalities were being eaten up by spreadsheets and fin photos, we made a game out of everything, including our food.

For example, we had a Spanish potato omelete for dinner (Apparently that's dinner in Spain.), and I guess it's a British custom to leave the last piece for whoever might want it. No one wanted it, so the director came up with an idea to pass the last piece around, with each person cutting it in half until the whole thing disappears. We were eventually cutting invisible crumbs.

After dinner, one of the other volunteers had a couple containers of brown and white face masks. So we decided to do some "face painting" (The director thought I should do some "foot painting" on my 'hobbit feet' because I have the smallest feet in the group. He was highly amused by them during the trip.) and took a group photo.

Today we're going over whale rescue techniques--we will use a fake blow-up Pilot Whale for practice--and the rest of the day is dependent on how we feel since the sea isn't looking good again.

Tomorrow at 11:30am (eight hours ahead of LA) I fly out of Aberdeen to London Heathrow (I will never forgive my mother for booking this flight because I can't STAND that airport.), and then I have a three-hour wait till I take off on my 11-hour flight to LAX. I look forward to seeing friends, family, and my favorite couch.