Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Egypt and Greece Chronicles: Part VI

Morning of 18 December, Classic Athens Imperial Hotel, Athens: I’m finally in Athens after a long week in Egypt. From Alexandria we were able to train it back to Cairo (and it actually took 2.5 hours!), where we hopped on a plane to Greece. Much to our relief, the train was sanitary and its passengers more civilized. I spent much of the time reading while hearing the buzz of a man’s voice muttering prayers to himself (Fridays are the Muslim day of Sabbath), and at one point our car played Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely by the Backstreet Boys. How random is that?

But let me tell you: when arriving in Athens (a Christian country) at around midnight it was like someone set loose a flock of doves; it was beautiful. The Greek female flight attendants had the physique of classical Greek statues and spoke with fabulous accents. This was my first time hearing both the accent and the language, and I must say I've never heard anything like it. To me, it sounded like a mix of Mexican Spanish, Jamaican, and British--pretty far off from Arabic.

Getting off the plane was a "trip" because my aunt was still drunk off sleeping pills she took to help pass the time. (I didn’t see what was wrong with being awake for two hours, but I guess she did.) Coming out of the plane, I had to slow my walking speed to look after her as she used the wall to avoid veering in any direction other than “straight.”

The city at night from cab view wasn't too magnificent. This was probably because I'm used to seeing the same architecture in the US, who bit off the Greeks (Who hasn't?); in fact, it reminded me of Old Town Pasadena. It was comforting to feel like home, yet disappointing because it felt like I was back home. I suppose I have to visit one of the Islands to get a good feel for the Greek life--that’s if the strikes don’t impact our ride out.

Today I’m ready for savory Mediterranean food, free WiFi (didn’t get that in Egypt), people who offer a service (e.g., giving directions) without having their hand out *ahem*Egypt*ahem*, and an eye-opening visit to…well, you’ll find out in my next entry J.

P.S. Not that it adds value to your life, I really butchered Giacomo’s name when I spelled it “Jacomo.” *slaps wrist* I have both the Italians’ email addresses so we can keep in touch.